Exploration and Mining Division
August 1st 2014 Prospecting Licence Competition
August1st 2014 Prospecting Licence Competition open from Friday 1st August until 30th September 2014
Competition Evaluation Criteria - Forms
Gold Panning FAQ
Six Monthly Report to the Oireachtas -
The report by the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources for the six months ended 30 June 2014 is available at the following link.
Six Month Report to Oireachtas January June 2014.pdf
Exploration Drilling - Guidance on Discharge to Groundwater
The draft guidance document is now available - Guidance_Exploration_Drilling_Final Draft.pdf. Deadline for Comments is now closed.
Ireland Ranked 4th out of 112
The Fraser Institute's, Annual Survey of Mining Companies, 2013, ranks Ireland 4th out of 112 jurisdictions with Sweden first this year (on the Policy Potential Index, overall ranking of the survey) compared to 6th out of 96 jurisdictions in 2012; 9/93 in 2011 when we broke in to the top ten; 16/79 in 2010; 17/72 in 2009; and 26/71 in 2008.
Demonstrating Ireland's attractive policy regime for potential exploration and mining companies.
Fraser Institute: Annual Survey of Mining Companies, 2013
Assessment of Economic Contribution of Mineral Exploration and Mining in Ireland - 29th September 2013
Minister O'Dowd publishes an assessment of the economic contribution of the exploration and mining sector to the Irish economy. The report and media release is available at Assessment of Economic Contribution of Mineral Exploration and Mining in Ireland
About Exploration and Mining Division (EMD)
The Exploration and Mining Division (EMD) is a line division of the Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources. EMD is the key reference point for the exploration and mining industry, available for advice and assistance from arrival in Ireland through to the opening of a mine. Enquiries from the general public on all matters relating to minerals regulation are also welcome.
Our remit includes:
- Regulation and permitting of exploration for and extraction of minerals (excluding petroleum, stone, sand, gravel and clay);
- Promoting inward investment in minerals exploration;
- Policy development in the area of minerals exploration and extraction;
- Representing and protecting the State's interests as mineral owner. The State owns an estimated 60% of all minerals and the exclusive right to work all minerals regardless of ownership (with a few minor exceptions) is vested in the Minister.
- Rehabilitation of former mine sites where the Minister has an acknowledged role.
- This site explains the role of EMD, the regulatory framework associated with mining and exploration, and industry background in general. For more technical information and to apply for a Prospecting Licence please visit our industry website http://www.mineralsireland.ie/