Exploration and Mining Division
November 2013 Prospecting Licence Competition Now open
Please see the November 2013 Competition Booklet.pdf for more details.
Assessment of Economic Contribution of Mineral Exploration and Mining in Ireland - 29th September 2013
Minister O'Dowd publishes an assessment of the economic contribution of the exploration and mining sector to the Irish economy. The report and media release is available at Assessment of Economic Contribution of Mineral Exploration and Mining in Ireland
Avoca Remediation Request For Tenders - 23rd August 2013
A Request for Tenders (RFT) for Consultants to provide design, procurement and project management services for remediation works at the former mine site at Avoca, Co. Wicklow was published on the www.etenders.gov.ie website in August 2013. The selection process is on-going and we hope to be in a position to announce the appointment of the successful tenderer in early December.
By clicking on the following link you can find a copy of the notice
Six Monthly Report to the Oireachtas -
The report by the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources for the six- months ended 30 June 2013 in accordence with Section 77 of the Minerals Development Act, 1940 and Section 8 of the Minerals Development Act, 1979 has been laid before the Oireachtas.
Ministers report to the Oireachtas for the six month period ended June 2013 (1132KB)
Monitoring of Mining Activities and Compliance with Conditions of State Mining Licences/Leases
AMEC Earth & Environmental (UK) Ltd are undertaking ongoing inspections of mine sites and records. This includes regular physical inspections of mining operations, both on surface and underground, to monitor mining activities, plans and records to ensure compliance with terms and conditions of those leases and licences and adherence to best practice.
Environmental Monitoring at the Former Mining Areas of Silvermines (Co. Tipperary) and Avoca (Co. Wicklow).
CDM Smith Ireland Ltd are undertaking ongoing environmental monitoring at Silvermines and Avoca. It is intended to publish the 2013 report early in 2014.
About Exploration and Mining Division (EMD)
The Exploration and Mining Division (EMD) is a line division of the Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources. EMD is the key reference point for the exploration and mining industry, available for advice and assistance from arrival in Ireland through to the opening of a mine. Enquiries from the general public on all matters relating to minerals regulation are also welcome.
Our remit includes:
- Regulation and permitting of exploration for and extraction of minerals (excluding petroleum, stone, sand, gravel and clay);
- Promoting inward investment in minerals exploration;
- Policy development in the area of minerals exploration and extraction;
- Representing and protecting the State's interests as mineral owner. The State owns an estimated 60% of all minerals and the exclusive right to work all minerals regardless of ownership (with a few minor exceptions) is vested in the Minister.
- Rehabilitation of former mine sites where the Minister has an acknowledged role.
- This site explains the role of EMD, the regulatory framework associated with mining and exploration, and industry background in general. For more technical information and to apply for a Prospecting Licence please visit our industry website http://www.mineralsireland.ie/