Exploration and Mining Division
May 2013 Prospecting Licence Competition
The latest Prospecting Licence Competition is now available for applications. The Competition expires on 30/06/2013.
Six Monthly Report to the Oireachtas - published 8th February 2013
The report by the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources for the six- months ended 31st December 2012 in accordence with Section 77 of the Minerals Development Act, 1940 and Section 8 of the Minerals Development Act, 1979 has been laid before the Oireachtas.
Appointment of Consultants to Monitor Mining Activities and Compliance with Conditions of State Mining Licences/Leases
AMEC Earth & Environmental (UK) Ltd have been appointed to undertake inspections of mine sites and records. This will include regular physical inspections of mining operations, both on surface and underground, to monitor mining activities, plans and records to ensure compliance with terms and conditions of those leases and licences and adherence to best practice.
The appointment is for an initial three year period commencing on the 6th December 2012.
The Provision of Environmental Monitoring Services at the Former Mining Areas of Silvermines (Co. Tipperary) and Avoca (Co. Wicklow).
CDM Smith Ireland Ltd have been apppointed to undertake environmental monitoring at Silvermines and Avoca.
This appointment commenced on the 11th December 2012 and is for an initial three year period.
The contribution of the exploration and mining sector in Ireland to the natioal economy.
In September 2012, Indecon International Economic Consultants were appointed to undertake an asessment of the contribution of the exploration and mining sector to the national economy. It is intended that this assessment will be published.
Six Monthly Report to the Oireachtas - June 2012
The report by the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources for the six months ended 30th June 2012 in accordance with Section 77 of the Minerals Development Act, 1940 and Section 8 of the Minerals Development Act, 1979 has been laid before the Oireachtas. This report is now available at the following link
Preparation of Geothermal Energy Development Bill
The Consolidated General Scheme (Heads) and the Regulatory Impact Analysis are available for a proposed Geothermal Energy Development Bill.
Geothermal Energy Legislation
About Exploration and Mining Division (EMD)
The Exploration and Mining Division (EMD) is a line division of the Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources. EMD is the key reference point for the exploration and mining industry, available for advice and assistance from arrival in Ireland through to the opening of a mine. Enquiries from the general public on all matters relating to minerals regulation are also welcome.
Our remit includes:
- Regulation and permitting of exploration for and extraction of minerals (excluding petroleum, stone, sand, gravel and clay);
- Promoting inward investment in minerals exploration;
- Policy development in the area of minerals exploration and extraction;
- Representing and protecting the State's interests as mineral owner. The State owns an estimated 60% of all minerals and the exclusive right to work all minerals regardless of ownership (with a few minor exceptions) is vested in the Minister.
- Rehabilitation of former mine sites where the Minister has an acknowledged role.
- This site explains the role of EMD, the regulatory framework associated with mining and exploration, and industry background in general. For more technical information and to apply for a Prospecting Licence please visit our industry website http://www.mineralsireland.ie/