The Inland Fisheries Division of the Department is charged with
- Matters relating to Protection, Development, Conservation and Management of Inland Fisheries;
- Legislation & Legal Matters
- Liaising with N.A.S.C.O. (North Atlantic Salmon Conservation Organisation)
- Support schemes in relation to salmon conservation
- Salmon Tagging Scheme
- Corporate governance of Inland Fisheries Ireland and the Loughs Agency.
The Exploration and Mining Division of the Department is charged with
- the application of the Minerals Development Act to minerals exploration and development;
- the encouragement of the early identification and responsible development by private investors of the Nation's minerals deposits in accordance with best international practice
- enhancing the attractiveness of Ireland for international and national minerals investment by active promotional measures.
- providing a Legislative Framework for the vesting, licencing and regulation for the development of Geothermal Energy.
The role of the Petroleum Affairs DivisionThe role of the Petroleum Affairs Division is to maximise the benefits to the State from exploration for and production of indigenous oil and gas resources, while ensuring that activities are conducted safely and with due regard to their impact on the environment and other land/sea users.
The Role of the Geological Survey of Ireland
Ireland's National Earth Science Agency, and is responsible for providing geological advice and information. The Geological Survey of Ireland website can be found at http://www.gsi.ie/
Griffith Geoscience Research Awards
The aim of the awards is to significantly develop overall research capacity particularly in priority areas of geoscience research as outlined in the National Geoscience Programme 2007-2013. Please follow this link for further information