Radio Communications, Radio Spectrum and the Digital Dividend
A modern economy relies heavily on its communications infrastructure, of which radio services play an important role. The Radio Spectrum is a national resource. It is the backbone for a wide range of activities in sectors including telecommunications, broadcasting, transport, defence, public security, emergency services, research and development, scientific services and hobbies/leisure uses. Spectrum use policy is considered at national and EU level.
The whole area of spectrum policy and planning is one which has significant importance for Irish society and the economy, particularly in terms of its contribution to the digital economy and the deployment of next generation networks and applications.
At a European level
Within the European Union there are two committees that handle matters relating to Radio Communications and Radio Spectrum. They are the Radio Spectrum Policy Group (RSPG) and the Radio Spectrum Committee . Meeting documents from these committees are regularly published on their respective websites and their sites are also used for public consultations.
- 07 March 2013: Public consultation on the Draft RSPG opinion on Wireless Broadband
- 21 November 2011: Public consultation on the Draft RSPG opinion on Spectrum Review
- 21 November 2011: Public consultation on the Draft RSPG opinion on Bilateral Assistance
- 23 November 2010: Public consultation on the draft RSPG Opinion on Cognitivie Technologies
- 23 November 2010: Public consultation on the draft RSPG Report on spectrum aspects related to "The future of radio broadcasting in Europe: Identtified needs, oopportunities and possible ways forward"
- 23 November 2010: Public consultation on the draft RSPG Opinion on Common EU Policy Objective for WRC-12
- 31 March 2010: Public consultation on the RSPG Opinion in preparation for the radio spectrum policy programme (RSPP)
- 13 November 2009: Call for public input on the draft RSPG report on Cognitive Technologies
- 15 May 2009: Public consultation on the coordination of EU spectrum interest
(Part1: Preparation of ITU World Radiocommunication Conferences - Part 2 Main themes of WRC-11 of interest for EU-Wide support)
- 15 May 2009: Public consultation on the draft RSPG Opinion on the Digital Dividend
- 29 July 2008: Public consultation on the draft RSPG Opinion on "Streamlining the regulatory environment for the use of spectrum"
- 10 June 2008: Public consultation on the draft RSPG Opinion on “Aspects of a European Approach to Collective Use of Spectrum”
- 01 November 2006: Public consultation on the draft RSPG Opinion on “EU Spectrum Policy Implications of the Digital Dividend”
15 May 2006: Public consultation on a coordinated EU spectrum approach for scientific use of radio spectrum
- 15 May 2006: Public consultation on the Introduction of Multimedia Services in particular in the frequency bands allocated to the broadcasting services
- 24 June 2005: Public consultation on Wireless Access Platforms for Electronic Communications Services (WAPECS)
- 28 June 2004: Consultation in the context of the development of an RSPG Opinion on priorities and objectives for the Community in the World Radiocommunications Conference 2007
- 09 February 2004: Public consultation on secondary trading of rights to use radio spectrum.
- 04 February 2004: Public call for consultation in the context of the development of a RSPG Opinion on the spectrum implications of a switchover to digital broadcasting.
- 13 October 2003: Public call for input on the work programme of the RSPG.
If you would like to view these consulations and the relevant responses please click here
In March 2010 the CEPT ECC announced its 5 year Strategic Plan.